Dennis Hammes: pontoon boats & babe magnets (part one)
Will Dockery
2009-02-09 01:27:09 UTC
I miss him.
Here's some interesting posts Dennis Hammes, where he expounds on babes and
pontoon boats. This is spread over a couple of threads from June 2005 and
will take some time to collect, so call this "part one". Most of the writing
/not/ quoted (in >>s) is by Dennis Hammes, the others are me and who later
became Berryman's Legacy, here in his persona that many took to be DMH,
until the real one returned and made it clear that he wasn't going anywhere
plus, we can just float around once we pick up the Summer babes from the
riverbank.
Better re-think this.
It's Southern Rock performance art, old son.
Heh. Put a GPU on the boat, you don't even hafta offload. Give the show on
the boat at marinas, public-access points, any place where the shore is
solid and accessible from land (/you/ aren't going ashore for anything but
the swag, and they can toss that to ya).
And give leaders (freebys) anywhere there's a cluster of residences
onshore; they can read your advertising from there if it's simple, clean,
and large enough: name, place, time.
The mental image of good ol' arrested-adolescent southern boys
tooling around the backwaters drunk in a pontoon boat on a
sultry Georgia summer day is just too depressing to contemplate.
Heh. Wait'll you see the video...
Don't even hafta leave the boat to shoot /most/ of that.

[...]
Uncle Dennis gave you the sword, at least.
No; I took it.
So /that's/ who was in while I was uptown...
We're collecting donations for an old pontoon boat so we
can tour the backwaters this Summer, not a race car, but
"babe magnets" will be fully loaded.
Ummm...at your age, Will, you should probably be somewhat past
the 'babe magnet' stage.
"/Nobody/ is past the 'bage-magnet' stage." -- George Burns
Besides, the 'babes' that such a 'magnet' would attract are
likely to be of the trailer park variety.
They drink just as well as the Upper Class ones, don't they?
And Bud Lite is a damsight cheaper than Chateau Rothschild '03, innit?
And beer has been helping ugly old farts get laid since 1358, hannit?
What part of this do you not understand?
And unless that boat burns alcohol, how you gonna afford fuel?
Alcohol still costs more, kid. And 35 hp was never a gas hog, anyway. 25,
if the boat he's talking about is small enough (as it'd better be if he's
"backwatering" in what I think he's backwatering).
Better re-think this.
Yes, you'd better.
The mental image of good ol' arrested-adolescent southern boys
tooling around the backwaters drunk in a pontoon boat on a
sultry Georgia summer day is just too depressing to contemplate.
So bring your bow.
Or your banjo.
A Fun Time Will Be Had By All either way.
But then, I never had a racecar, either.
Uncle Dennis gave you the sword, at least.
We're collecting donations for an old pontoon boat so we can tour the
backwaters this Summer, not a race car, but "babe magnets" will be fully
loaded.

Can you no longer make them out of 55-gal drums and a wad of 2x4s, 2x6s?
The elegant way of mounting the barrels is, before welding them
end-to-end, drill three holes in line toppish, middle, bottomish, and
tighten down a bolt, washer, rubber washer, barrel, rubber washer, washer,
and nut, long tail of bolt outside barrel. You work through the bung with a
long pliers or magnet to start the bolt, and wrench on a stick to finish
(normal tools outside the barrel).
Fancys: sheet-metal bows and sterns (fit templates of cardboard, cut one
from each side -- turn it over -- of the template, they may be a little off,
but they'll be symmetrical), whatever you want for decking and deckhouse,
must have running lights after dusk.
Power: 35-50hp outboard; less is impatiently slow, more is waste, depends
on displacement, bow and stern streamline, but /primarily on length of
waterline/.
Welding skill: anybody who can run a passable horizontal bead with an a/c
stick (6011).
Unless you got a boat lined up and like the deal...
--
-------(m+
~/:o)_|

(Collected from threads on a.a.p.c June 2005)
--
"Twilight Girl" and other poetry-music from Will Dockery:
http://www.myspace.com/willdockery
j***@aol.com
2009-03-03 09:44:19 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Great stuff, Will. I commend your collecting the memorable bits... btw
Todd tells me the funds we collected enabled John to rescue his
father's ashes from that Wright Funeral Home. John may have a ceremony
in the spring per Todd, will keep you apprised because your research
reminds us of the wit and wisdom of our dear Dennis... Patrick,
Dennis's nephew may be available at ***@arvig.net because he
sent me an email announcing Dennis's death ago...

Jeanne
Will Dockery
2009-03-03 10:56:17 UTC
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Glad to hear it, and from you, Jeanne. I put (part one) on this post
because this discussion continued for a while... I'll get with
collecting a (part two) pretty soon...

--
Abstract paintings of George Sulzbach:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=92593&id=620409362&l=37aa2
s***@yahoo.com
2009-03-03 11:24:38 UTC
Post by j***@aol.com
Todd tells me the funds we collected enabled John to rescue his
father's ashes from that Wright Funeral Home. John may have a ceremony
in the spring per Todd, will keep you apprised because your research
reminds us of the wit and wisdom of our dear Dennis... Patrick,
sent me an email announcing Dennis's death ago...
Jeanne
Who is Todd, Jeanne? Something about the "boy (or kid) and nephew" and
making pizzas and playing cribbage seem familiar, but I don't recall a
Todd.

Dennis would be fixing engines putting parts of this to parts of that
with the nephew, if I remember. Maybe they'd drink beer and have cheap
meat dishes. That's what this thread makes me think of. I haven't
looked into it. Will did not provide a link that I can tell.

As much as Dennis was a tinkerer, did you ever feel the urge to help
Dennis get some good electricity? He was always complaining about his
fuses and wiring in his home. And he refused my offer of a dvd player.
Remember Dennis's "Netscrape"? Maybe that word isn't a Dennis
original, but I'll always think it was Dennis's.

Anyway, I have a few leads on how to reach the nephew and son. I
haven't checked them out. Have you been in direct contact?

Thanks,
Sherrie
j***@aol.com
2009-03-04 11:39:16 UTC
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by j***@aol.com
[...]
Sherrie,

Todd Cannon was mentored by Dennis ago. Todd contacted me when
Dennis died, so I posted the data thereafter. I helped Todd raise the
nearly 2k required to help Dennis's son John, about 18, recover his
his fathers cremated remains from a hostage holding funeral home
awaiting probate on Dennis's house. ***@hotmail.com
is worth contacting for specifics. Several emails and phone
conversations
with Todd and one with John Hammes enlightened me about Mews/Muse
Dennis's beloved black cat who died shortly after he did. I tried
several
approaches to helping Dennis. His house has several loaned items I
may follow up on, or not. I sent him computers as I replaced mine, his
tinkering made everything work but his electrictiy beyond the
fuses..;>
You will enjoy pursuing those leads. Dennis was special to many of
us.

Jeanne
p***@yahoo.com
2009-03-04 11:58:51 UTC
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by j***@aol.com
[...]
I guess I don't understand the "middle man". Why John isn't directly
in charge. Is Todd a lawyer? Did Dennis assign him proxy or whatever
the law term is, executor? hotmail.com. Who is he? Still not sure. But
you were what always seemed to be a genuine friend. He was kind with
his words to you. I have no doubt you gave him computers. I wish I
could have done more for him while he was alive.

Thank you for your time in responding, Jeanne.

Sincerly,
Sherrie
j***@aol.com
2009-03-05 04:05:34 UTC
Post by p***@yahoo.com
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by j***@aol.com
[...]

Just today I received notice from The Atlantic Monthly that they were
having
problems delivering my usual gift subscription. I called and told
them he
had died. Sad, that. They assigned the remaining issues to my
subscription.
Must check on MAD magazine as I gave him one of those ago for a
birthday.

We all wanted to do more for him, but he was proud, self reliant, rode
his
bicycle in Moorhead weather and would not accept charity even from
those
who saw him as a national treasure, like me. He indulged me now and
then
because I was persistent and certain to prevail to his kind
amusement..;>

John is his minor age son from his ago marriage to Joan, his former
wife.
John may be eighteen by now, am guessing. Todd is not a lawyer, but
a decent sort who was guided by Dennis when he was a child, long
before
Todd's career with IBM, his marriage and his own fatherhood of a dear
girl.
Todd and I spoke on the phone years ago when Dennis arranged it. One
time
I went through the Dakotas to my brother's in Exeter, NH and took a
cab
across a flood plain to visit Dennis, just for chuckles. He was a
great host,
played the piano, entertained me royally and I met his Muse/Mews, saw
the local library he supported, the nearby shopping center in Fargo,
the
local Lutheran Univ. and a dozen sites traveling in my rented car with
Dennis as tour guide and gentleman par excellence. His wee house was
a welcoming place; his office was simply fascinating. Local birds were
fed,
flowers were set and the simple elegance of his modest life amazed me.
The respect he gained from his audience was well earned, imo. His
family connections were few and he was a proud poor rich human being.

He knew I was no poet, but wordy and funny in my own fashion. He did
not suffer fools as we all know. I was honored by his wit and wisdom,
no
matter what was going on in the poetry groups. He took old computers,
made them work and donated them to others. He was so clever with so
many things beyond wood, wires, metals, drawings and such, he caused
awe among those he knew or let know him a bit better than as a pundit/
poet.

Without Todd's intercession, young John would be ignored by the
Funeral
Home who simply wanted a bundle to permit cremation and delivery of
ashes
to young John who works in a restaurant and has less than his father
ever did.

Todd, the kind man, who remembered the kindness of Dennis when he was
a child, stood up to be of use to John and others among us who wanted
help. I've not met him, but I knew of him from Dennis who respected
him.

Dennis left no will as far as we know. Utterly sad outcome and Will's
kind
endeavors re: wiki bit may be all there is when the dust settles. Many
will
never forget Dennis. I see nearly daily notes from Google wherein
folks
in other groups have begun to get the word that Dennis Hammes is
gone...

Jeanne
s***@yahoo.com
2009-03-05 05:06:35 UTC
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by p***@yahoo.com
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by j***@aol.com
[...]
That is a very beautiful tribute to Dennis. Thank you for it.

It sounds like Dennis thought you and Todd ought to talk, for whatever
reason it was -- years ago. You have not ever spoken on the phone with
John. Perhaps kids are busy. I've been figuring John to be a little
older than 18, around 20. I had a sense from some of Dennis's writing
John was born late '80s.

My guess is the nephew (maybe 25) and John are buds. Mr. Andersen
wrote a very kind notice of Dennis's departure. Mr. Andersen seemed
articulate and mature. I recall him to be a relative who visited
Dennis along with John during the holidays and other random occasions.

I'm sorry I don't recall a mentioning of Todd who also wrote a few
words on Dennis. Interesting how Todd was introduced to you on the
phone and not the closer blood relatives. Perhaps Todd's interests
were a little different from those of the younger ones. If for no
other reason than to say, Hi, it sounds as though it was a
spontaneous, "Thanks for socializing with my pseudo-parent," I'm
guessing Todd's about 20 years Dennis's junior, 40-ish.

I suppose no foul play, but I was warned against sending anything to
someone I'd never heard of.

John, yes. Nephew, yes. Todd, Dennis never said anything to me.

Dennis, I did send things to, but I felt it was an offering of thanks
for his time. He spent a lot of time with me here. If it were a face-
to-face poetry gathering with Dennis as the featured poet, I'd have
put something into the jar. It was never enough, but he enjoyed cigars
etc. I always had the visual of his home being dominated by humidors.

I was too cautious. Caution takes too much time, but I didn't want to
come across a "crazy girl" (too late, eh?). He got my address,
regardless. I sent him only two Christmas cards. One he never got. It
probably got there a day too late.
j***@aol.com
2009-03-05 07:05:42 UTC
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by p***@yahoo.com
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by j***@aol.com
[...]

I did speak with John. I had posted each item over time as it
occurred, in rap, etc.,
I telephoned him at work and we discussed his situation and how
pleased
he was that his father was famous, well regarded. He related his
connections
over time with him and why the Wright funeral folks wanted to wait for
probate
vice releasing Dennis or having his remains cremated as John wanted...
Todd
was devoted to Dennis for years, felt badly that they had recently
disconnected
when Todd left IBM after his marriage, etc., I posted Todd's notice to
me the
moment he knew that Dennis had been found dead in his house ca 23 Dec.
I noticed his # 228 was written on 20 Dec. and it seemed prophetic of
his demise
to my utter horror. Will D. put up funeral home data, I assembled
monies from
Alex, a close friend, and a few others, rounded it up to the amount
Todd said
would cover the cremation and mailed the 1750 to Todd who passed it
John.
Am sure he could use more for the memorial, a stone, etc., Todd Cannon
at hotmail.com is a trusted conduit, imo. He seems in his forties as
you said,
his daughter is eight and his wife's name is Carol, they live in the
same state.

Todd spoke with the authorities and guided John whose phone number at
work he gave me to speak with him. Patrick had sent me an email from
Dennis's computer--he had notified those he found in Dennis's address
book
after Todd wrote to me. Dennis smoked cigarettes until he could no
longer
afford them, imo, then changed over to cigars which he treasured. His
cat
was found with him, but a tumor was discovered, hence, she was
euthanized.
Todd and Dennis were closer, imo, than Dennis's son was allowed to
be...

Todd has contacted the government entities and continues to be a
resource
for John, given that fact that he is around 18 and needs a savvy adult
to help
him handle this and that. John is religious, unlike Dennis, as Todd
cautioned
me, thus, I did not emphasize my humanistic views...:> Anyone reading
should not hesitate to write to Todd Cannon. I hold him in high esteem
as
did Dennis. Some birthdays, I sent flowers because his photos of
flowers
exhibited an extra-ordinary photographer's eye. I have a picture of
some
he took ago. He also took a picture of my face when I passed through
MN
to show me laughing loudly sans mascara and to remind me to let my
lightness shine through. My formal self did not care for the picture
of my
mouth open while I hooted, but now that I have matured a tad since
1998,
I can see what Dennis was teaching about being real. I admired his
mind,
his humors and tickled him during his grouchy and hard times. He knew
I respected him and admired his command of language. He liked a woman
I introduced him to on line, an illustrator from Australia who has not
responded
to my emails, yet. She sent me an autographed copy of her last book
ago.

Their minds meeting pleased me greatly as I do match making in my
spare
time...;> It went no further than friendship on line, but he enjoyed
her company
as I am certain he enjoyed yours and many others. He was complex and
funny, angry and periodically down, but his command of the language
made
him an exceptional man. He refused to vote when I urged it, railed at
politicians
and bureaucrats, but he hit the nail on the head over and over about
most
everything which is why I liked him. Why is why many, many of us liked
him...

Jeanne
s***@yahoo.com
2009-03-05 12:00:19 UTC
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by p***@yahoo.com
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by j***@aol.com
[...]
Your Dennis tributes are among your best works. Dennis is an
archetypal muse. Let him guide you.

If I wasn't happily in a long term relationship of approaching 5 years
and hadn't spent time prior with someone I thought might "be the one",
I would have loved to have met Dennis, alone. As it was, I discussed
with Julian inviting Dennis over for the Winter to my one-bedroom
apartment. No, not for what some might think, it would have been to
give Dennis Florida away from MN winters. I had it all planned how it
could work, though, I'm afraid on after-thought, I neglected to
consider his Mews. Dennis never said as much directly though he
declined the offer by stating how his unused shop equipment, "stuff",
was what kept him alive. Or something to that effect. It's in the
archives, here (rap; we're crossposting, I see). The writing was fun
especially the allusions to Damifiknow Street, I'd read in one of the
Cigar catalogs describing a tobacconist (?) in Tampa, FL.

I am unsure of whether Dennis was intentionally, or I was making
associations with regards to his, helping me deal with a bad, bad
state of mind (as well as normal 9-5 stuff). He gave me attention
enough to have me work on poetry, focusing on a foundation of the best
words possible (within myself and with myself looking outwardly for
them) in best order to see what direction comes of boundaries. Dennis
seemed to understand words to their base and how, whether the poet was
fully aware, the simple physics (I suppose) come about with regards to
rules of life. I think Dennis supported me on some of my perspectives.
He was more earth-based (classic mechanics) to my air-headedness.
Other times he helped me feel beautiful. I hope I did the same for
him, although, sometimes my own agenda got in the way of paying enough
attention back to Dennis, fairly.

I remember having compiled about ten poems fitting a theme and planned
to post them, but Dennis interjected. I marched forth with the "plan"
rather than shutting down some of my poems already written "months
ago". After posting them it looked as though I'd made "response
poems", a sad case of not adapting. I felt badly that these posts
could have been misperceived as communicating to Dennis. They were
only communicating to, for the lazy way to put "it", an evil spirit.
Bad timing. A terrible thing to suffer.

Shortly thereafter, Dennis died. I don't think I could ever talk to
that spirit again. Part of me thinks I killed Dennis. It's probably
dramatic and narcissistic of me to think that way, but the truth is
there is a kernel of that thinking in me. I confess.

Maybe the future holds a crossing of paths. Maybe I'll be blessed with
seeing signs of Dennis in his son. Who knows.
j***@aol.com
2009-03-05 18:56:45 UTC
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by p***@yahoo.com
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by j***@aol.com
[...]

His son is not on line, may be living at the place he works, as the
number to reach him is the restaurant. I did meet others when I passed
through Moorhead, may have included Patrick as someone was working
on a truck out back of his house. My accepting no guidance meant our
being friends arose from being different but equals in a sense that
made
Dennis laugh lots. We elbowed each other; I twitted him; he tolerated
me.
I admired him; he admired me, but never the twain would meet for more
than that. Your connection was special; mine was unusual because my
having been a boss in an audit agency whose twelve years nights
through
several summas led to my leaving a doctoral program at BU because my
son died and I bid on a job in California vice suicide and married a
dear
friend raising his son alone and brought him from Mass. to California
ago
meant I talked lots, but was no poet, but merely a person who
preferred
classical music, many arts, little of popular culture and much of
books,
non-fiction, of course..;> My being a stuffed shirt and Dennis being
witty
made knowing him a valuable experience. Like you, I wanted to help
him,
but he was proud and valued simple sustenance in an independent manner
which I understood at once; we had that in common. I sent him swords
when
I bought one for myself; I sent him pillows, linens and loaned him
videos, e.g.,
of Robin Williams at Carnegie Hall and many classical music tapes and
poetry
readings from sets here, just to be helpful as a friend can be from
afar. His
illustrations showed me what mattered to him, thus, my twitting took
shape
as I acted as a witness to current events who had a political bent
that he
kidded me about. After I taught myself to type in mid '94 because I
knew
my having a secretary days would end and all those I paid to type my
grad school papers would not be replaced, I joined a text-based on-
line ISP
named delphi.com and found my way in time to usenet groups where words
amused and challenged me to read and understand in other realms. My
Gram
had recited poetry in my hearing ago. I had read lots, but Dennis's
methods
seemed solid and interesting although my lethargy ensures I would not
have
your level of work products. I met many poets at various gatherings,
as in San
Jose, which I enjoyed very much. Dennis laughed lots as I recounted my
forays.

Please do not feel guilty and make connections between his death and
your
duties over time. Dennis was unwell for many years. Bursitis was one
of many
itises which plagued him post military service and scrabble times in
Moorhead.

His pluck and persistence made me admire him. His kindness to others
set an
example in his area; his mind made him memorable to many. My atheist/
humanist
core can easily spout: we shall not see his like again. But Dennis
marked those
with whom he parried. Dennis made us think, reason, consider and weigh
things.

His clear views of BS made sense to me; I worried about his health,
the hardships,
and, like you, would like to have had more time to be of some help.
But Dennis
chose the path he took and made the very best of it. Luckily, Will's
bit on wiki
and the greatness of Google means he left a trail and spurred many to
do good
work in different spheres. I can picture his wry smile at this
exchange and almost
hear and see him say: Heh!

Jeanne
j***@aol.com
2009-03-05 19:00:38 UTC
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by p***@yahoo.com
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by j***@aol.com
[...]
P.S. Look at the early posts around January 8 when I put Todd's email
on line under: Dennis died... and notice Barbara's Cat and many others
who have been blessed by knowing Dennis as we have. He was more
than his words, he was a provocateur and an elegant punster for many
who will not pass this way again which he might just confirm were he
present..;>.

Jeanne
s***@yahoo.com
2009-03-05 19:17:25 UTC
On Mar 5, 2:00 pm, "***@aol.com" <***@aol.com> wrote:

[...]
Post by j***@aol.com
P.S. Look at the early posts around January 8 when I put Todd's email
on line under: Dennis died... and notice Barbara's Cat and many others
who have been blessed by knowing Dennis as we have.  He was more
than his words, he was a provocateur and an elegant punster for many
who will not pass this way again which he might just confirm were he
present..;>.
Jeanne
Indeed. This brings to mind the time I reached out to him with an
email asking him, Usenet? Is it true? I'm hoarding his response. Of
course, those who inherited his Sent archive (Dennis, go ahead and
laugh! Write me another Half scented poem, why don't you! ... sadly,
he won't...) also have the treasure.

Anyway, I have to stop reading, I think. It makes me cry. Thanks for
keeping his memory alive, Jeanne.
j***@aol.com
2009-03-06 16:18:39 UTC
Jeanne,
Thanks for sharing your latest thread concerning
Mr. Hammes.
If you ever decide to share more stories, their would
definitely be more than one grateful soul onboard to
listen.
msifg
I'm collecting part two of this "pontoon boats & babe magnets" episode
right now... editing most and keeping it as much pure Hammes as
possible, with just some added bits for context.
--
http://www.myspace.com/willdockery
.

Todd sent me this today. Feel free to relay it to other groups and
Will's wiki site as you deem appropriate:

Thank you for all your kind words, Jeanne. I can understand Sherrie's
reservations on matters like this. I prodded John into securing a PO
box where all future correspondence to John may be sent directly.

John Hammes
P.O. Box 273
Fertile, MN 56540-0273

Feel free to invite Sherrie to write directly to me if she is so
inclined. I'd be happy to share my stories about Dennis but must warn
that they are less about poetry and more of electronics, chemistry and
other various topics which would be discussed by nerdy guys in their
teens and twenties (me, of course).

I appreciate the continuing dialogue on Dennis as it always brings
back fond memories. You're one of his biggest fans and you understood
him so well. The conversations and visits you talk about are a spot
on match of the memories that I have "growing up" with Dennis. He was
fortunate to have found you.

Todd
Will Dockery
2009-04-25 22:04:38 UTC
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by j***@aol.com
[...]

***Hello, Jeanne... I see you're (rarely, unfortunately) online tonight.
Hope all is well, and reading your latest poem post and thinking of a
worthwhile comment.

Stuart Leichter returned for a day or so earlier this month, with some
important statements, and I thought of you... anyway, just a quick hello,
and hope you can stick around for a while.
--
New Will Dockery recordings, "Corning Town", "Crawford Road Crawl",
"Rosell", "Little Homeless Clown" & "She Came From Overseas":
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery
Will Dockery
2009-05-06 09:13:13 UTC
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by j***@aol.com
[...]

Hello, Jeanne... I'm emptying out my "Drafts" folder tonight, things that
were put aside and not posted, then forgotten... here's one of them.
--
"She Sleeps Tight" by Will Dockery & Brian Mallard (vocal draft):
http://www.archive.org/details/SheSleepsTightvocalTake
Orson Wells as CitizenCain
2009-05-06 16:15:53 UTC
things that were put aside and not posted, then forgotten
Drug and alcohol abuse will do that to a person.
Will Dockery
2009-05-06 20:46:45 UTC
On May 6, 12:15 pm, "Orson Wells as CitizenCain"
Post by Orson Wells as CitizenCain
things that were put aside and not posted, then forgotten
Drug and alcohol abuse will do that to a person.
You're on drugs and drinking now, Dink?

Good for you, maybe you'll loosen up some!

--
"Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and
when you laugh, laugh like hell and when you get angry, get good and
http://www.myspace.com/willdockery
Orson Wells as CitizenCain
2009-05-08 05:24:12 UTC
"Will Dockery" <***@gmail.com> wrote in message news:61007a9e-408e-43e2-aff4-***@s28g2000vbp.googlegroups.com...
On May 6, 12:15 pm, "Orson Wells as CitizenCain"
Post by Orson Wells as CitizenCain
things that were put aside and not posted, then forgotten
Drug and alcohol abuse will do that to a person.
You're on drugs and drinking now, Dink?

No, Duckery, I'm not. Are you really this stupid? Is your mind so
swiss-cheesed that your reading abilities have gone kaput? Are you truly
this idiotic and clueless? You'd make Sherlock Holmes cry.

Good for you, maybe you'll loosen up some!

Will Dockery advocating illegal drug abuse and alcohol abuse. How very
un-fuckin'-surprising.
Will Dockery
2011-10-22 23:01:22 UTC
"Loren Eiseley was an archaeologist who dug mostly in the western U.S., one
of a few whose work I've followed "rather more or less" (with Dart, Broom,
Lorenz, Leakey, Leakey, and Leakey). He also wrote at least three slim
volumes of poems he insisted were not to be published, but his wife sneaked
them to us, the last posthumously (thank her; they're worthy)..." -Dennis M.
Hammes

Read the poem here:

http://www.the-rathouse.com/DMHammes.html
George Dance
2011-10-23 03:25:44 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
"Loren Eiseley was an archaeologist who dug mostly in the western U.S., one
of a few whose work I've followed "rather more or less" (with Dart, Broom,
Lorenz, Leakey, Leakey, and Leakey). He also wrote at least three slim
volumes of poems he insisted were not to be published, but his wife sneaked
them to us, the last posthumously (thank her; they're worthy)..." -Dennis M.
Hammes
http://www.the-rathouse.com/DMHammes.html
That was good to read. I added the page as both an EL and a reference,
to the Dennis M. Hammes page that (I think) you put up on Wikinfo;
here's the new version:

http://www.wikinfo.org/index.php/Dennis_M._Hammes

I also copied it over to PPP. That's the type of niche article you
won't find on Wikipedia. Anyone else like that will be appreciated
(for example, looking at the title of the thread, if you want to add
Rick Howe's bio.

The latter is coming along nicely,
Will Dockery
2011-10-23 10:42:06 UTC
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Sounds good... been a long night so I need a nap, but will get on that
soon.

--
Music & poetry of Will Dockery:
http://www.youtube.com/user/WDockery
George Dance
2011-10-24 04:06:20 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
There is absolutely no hurry; the only danger of putting it off is
that you might forget about it.
Post by Will Dockery
Music & poetry of Will Dockery:http://www.youtube.com/user/WDockery
Will Dockery
2011-10-24 22:22:55 UTC
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
I did make a short entry for Rick Howe on the PPP Wiki this morning...
hopefully to expand it relatively soon.

--
Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars will be joined by Oriental
Jones & special music & poetry guests at the 3rd Annual WORLD AIDS DAY

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150434212944363&l=87908645de
Post by George Dance
http://www.youtube.com/user/WDockery
Will Dockery
2011-10-24 23:58:38 UTC
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Hmmm... since I responded to this hours ago, looks like Google must be
losing posts, again.

I'll give it a bit longer, I guess.

--
Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars / Oriental Jones at the 3rd
Post by George Dance
Will Dockery
2011-10-25 07:46:44 UTC
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
I did add a short entry on Rick Howe there on the PPP yesterday, just
a start for now.

--
Shark Pact Manifesto / Will Dockery & Shadowville All-Stars:
http://youtu.be/Ft3X3kC6nr4
Post by George Dance
George Dance
2011-10-26 10:38:21 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Yes, I saw it, thanks.
Post by Will Dockery
--
Shark Pact Manifesto / Will Dockery & Shadowville http://youtu.be/Ft3X3kC6nr4
Post by George Dance
Will Dockery
2011-10-26 13:16:55 UTC
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Time permitting, I intend to make some contributions to the Wiki in
the near future.

--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery
Will Dockery
2011-11-12 22:16:26 UTC
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
All the more easier given I've been on this long vacation...

--
Post by George Dance
--
http://www.youtube.com/user/WDockery

iamb
2011-11-12 03:53:54 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
"Loren Eiseley was an archaeologist who dug mostly in the western U.S.,
one of a few whose work I've followed "rather more or less" (with Dart,
Broom, Lorenz, Leakey, Leakey, and Leakey). He also wrote at least
three slim volumes of poems he insisted were not to be published, but
his wife sneaked them to us, the last posthumously (thank her; they're
worthy)..." -Dennis M. Hammes
http://www.the-rathouse.com/DMHammes.html
Jesus God that's an awful poem - and I love Eiseley. Rivers are court
officers swearing rocks into the dock? That's not a metaphysical trope
- it's confused nonsense. The author is amazingly ignorant of law or
paleontology, or, more likely, both. And it's all downhill from there.
www.mikesnider.org for The Sonnetarium
Will Dockery

THE COLONEL
2011-10-23 02:16:19 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
"Loren Eiseley was an archaeologist who dug mostly in the western U.S., one
of a few whose work I've followed "rather more or less" (with Dart, Broom,
Lorenz, Leakey, Leakey, and Leakey). He also wrote at least three slim
volumes of poems he insisted were not to be published, but his wife sneaked
them to us, the last posthumously (thank her; they're worthy)..." -Dennis M.
Hammes
http://www.the-rathouse.com/DMHammes.html
Is this a pic of Dennis?

Will Dockery
2011-10-25 02:48:24 UTC
Post by THE COLONEL
Post by Will Dockery
"Loren Eiseley was an archaeologist who dug mostly in the western U.S., one
of a few whose work I've followed "rather more or less" (with Dart, Broom,
Lorenz, Leakey, Leakey, and Leakey). He also wrote at least three slim
volumes of poems he insisted were not to be published, but his wife sneaked
them to us, the last posthumously (thank her; they're worthy)..." -Dennis M.
Hammes
http://www.the-rathouse.com/DMHammes.html
Is this a pic of Dennis?
http://www.the-rathouse.com/files/initiald.jpg
That does look like a cartoon depiction of Hammes, yes.

--
Shark Pact Manifesto / Will Dockery & Shadowville All-Stars:

Will Dockery

Will Dockery

Peter J Ross
2011-10-31 22:15:41 UTC
In rec.arts.poems on Mon, 24 Oct 2011 21:14:36 -0400, Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
"Loren Eiseley was an archaeologist who dug mostly in the western U.S., one
of a few whose work I've followed "rather more or less" (with Dart, Broom,
Lorenz, Leakey, Leakey, and Leakey). He also wrote at least three slim
volumes of poems he insisted were not to be published, but his wife sneaked
them to us, the last posthumously (thank her; they're worthy)..." -Dennis M.
Hammes
http://www.the-rathouse.com/DMHammes.html
Why are you so determined to take your revenge on Mr Hammes's corpse
by virtually buggering it on Usenet, Dreckery? You remind me of
Achilles' contemptible hangers-on in the Iliad:

... ἄλλοι δὲ περίδραμον υἷες Ἀχαιῶν,
οἳ καὶ θηήσαντο φυὴν καὶ εἶδος ἀγητὸν
Ἕκτορος: οὐδ' ἄρα οἵ τις ἀνουτητί γε παρέστη.
ὧδε δέ τις εἴπεσκεν ἰδὼν ἐς πλησίον ἄλλον:
ὢ πόποι, ἦ μάλα δὴ μαλακώτερος ἀμφαφάασθαι
Ἕκτωρ ἢ ὅτε νῆας ἐνέπρησεν πυρὶ κηλέῳ.
(Homer)

The thronging Greeks behold with wondering eyes
His manly beauty and superior size;
While some, ignobler, the great dead deface
With wounds ungenerous, or with taunts disgrace:
“How changed that Hector, who like Jove of late
Sent lightning on our fleets, and scatter’d fate!”
(Pope's version)
PJR :-)
the messenjah
2011-10-31 22:58:24 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
"Loren Eiseley was an archaeologist who dug mostly in the western U.S., one
of a few whose work I've followed "rather more or less" (with Dart, Broom,
Lorenz, Leakey, Leakey, and Leakey). He also wrote at least three slim
volumes of poems he insisted were not to be published, but his wife sneaked
them to us, the last posthumously (thank her; they're worthy)..." -Dennis M.
Hammes
http://www.the-rathouse.com/DMHammes.html
Why are you so determined to take your revenge on Mr Hammes's corpse
by virtually buggering it on Usenet, Dreckery? You remind me of
Ross. You're a fuckhead.
                (Pope's version)
David
2011-11-01 00:44:51 UTC
Post by the messenjah
Ross. You're a fuckhead.
A blight on a bloody good adjective and a
perfectly passable noun...
Peter J Ross
2011-11-01 01:53:55 UTC
In us.arts.poetry on Mon, 31 Oct 2011 17:44:51 -0700 (PDT), David
Post by David
Post by the messenjah
Ross. You're a fuckhead.
A blight on a bloody good adjective and a
perfectly passable noun...
Translation: "I, David, get upset when my doggerel receives the kind
of comments it deserves. I, David have been getting upset for at least
five years so far, and there's no sign of any end to my comical
antics."
PJR :-)
David
2011-11-03 17:57:00 UTC
PJ Ross, your awful cross,
you hate my doggerelly-

if you could cope, don't be a dope,
the net is not like telly.

Please, have some fun set off your gun
and blow away the cobwebs-

for Pete, you're sweet, don't haunt the street
your much too good for that-

out of the rain breathe your refrain,
and just ignore the plebs

you too can shine, dash off a line
and entertain the cat.

'jimmywhistlebritches'
Peter J Ross
2011-11-03 21:08:29 UTC
In us.arts.poetry on Thu, 3 Nov 2011 10:57:00 -0700 (PDT), David
<snip>

In future, please keep your drivel out of my private inbox. TIA.
PJR :-)
Will Dockery
2011-10-31 23:34:02 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
of a few whose work I've followed "rather more or less" (with Dart, Broom,
Lorenz, Leakey, Leakey, and Leakey). He also wrote at least three slim
volumes of poems he insisted were not to be published, but his wife sneaked
them to us, the last posthumously (thank her; they're worthy)..." -Dennis M.
Hammes
http://www.the-rathouse.com/DMHammes.html
Why are you so determined to take your revenge on Mr Hammes
You seem delusional again, PJR, with your constantly mistaken
hallucinations of bizarre "agendas" of people.

Or perhaps your projectig your own agenda here?
Post by Will Dockery
                ... ἄλλοι δὲ περίδραμον υἷες Ἀχαιῶν,
        οἳ καὶ θηήσαντο φυὴν καὶ εἶδος ἀγητὸν
        Ἕκτορος: οὐδ' ἄρα οἵ τις ἀνουτητί γε παρέστη.
        ὢ πόποι, ἦ μάλα δὴ μαλακώτερος ἀμφαφάασθαι
        Ἕκτωρ ἢ ὅτε νῆας ἐνέπρησεν πυρὶ κηλέῳ.
                (Homer)
        The thronging Greeks behold with wondering eyes
        His manly beauty and superior size;
        While some, ignobler, the great dead deface
        “How changed that Hector, who like Jove of late
        Sent lightning on our fleets, and scatter’d fate!”
                (Pope's version)
Not bad...

--
Red Lipped Stranger by Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:

Will Dockery
2009-03-04 11:49:58 UTC
Post by j***@aol.com
Todd tells me the funds we collected enabled John to rescue his
father's ashes from that Wright Funeral Home. John may have a ceremony
in the spring per Todd, will keep you apprised because your research
reminds us of the wit and wisdom of our dear Dennis... Patrick,
sent me an email announcing Dennis's death ago...
Jeanne
Who is Todd, Jeanne? Something about the "boy (or kid) and nephew" and
making pizzas and playing cribbage seem familiar, but I don't recall a
Todd.

Dennis would be fixing engines putting parts of this to parts of that
with the nephew, if I remember. Maybe they'd drink beer and have cheap
meat dishes. That's what this thread makes me think of. I haven't
looked into it. Will did not provide a link that I can tell.

//The post was compiled from about a week of thread, but when I get back to
compiling (part two), I'll make sure I get in the Google Group links...
pretty much all through April 2005, if my memory serves me well.
--
"Shadowville Speedway" and other song-poems: